7 months pass. Lisa works her services, dots her i's and crosses her t's. The case is closed. I at this time, have forgotten about Lisa and Ashley. On a Friday morning in March at 7:45 AM, my favorite person to work with at the police station called me on my cell telling me John beat up Lisa again, and baby Ashley was there. She told me how Lisa was still communicating with John and they've had a secret relationship. The adrenaline kicked in again... See, somewhere within that time frame of working services, baby Ashley went home. Lisa showed the agency that she can chose her daughter over her unprotective, battering boyfriend and father to Ashley.
At that time, I called the police. They meet me at Lisa's. She let us in. I informed her of all this information of their secret relationship I knew about and informed her that her daughter has to go into foster care. I know, it's horrible. She had no relatives to care for her daughter and were not willing to help her because she chose her battering John over Ashley. In the previous case, we had a Family Team Meeting where all the relatives, community services representatives, and I determined who would care for this child if the parent's fail to take responsibility for her safety again. There was no one. At that time, Lisa sobbed so bad that the officer had to threaten to arrest her for failing to cooperate with a social services worker (me!). I packed her a bag and off I went to my office with the little cutie Ashley.
It's horrible. Turns out John is bipolar and has several hits on his criminal record. She was as addicted to HIM as he was to not taking medicine and battering her. He was on the wanted list and I got several calls from local police departments on locating information. At this time, he's locked up for three years minimum. Him behind bars, has allowed Lisa to work her services through the court, send baby Ashley with a relative out of the city, and get her life back together.
7 months later (TODAY), I got a voicemail on my cell phone from Lisa. She called to tell me that in November, Ashley will be returning home to her. She said that I helped her to make new beginnings for her and that she is excited to start over. She said that there are happy endings and wanted to me see how I helped save her family.
I praise the Lord for relief in oppression, delight in the agency's attempt to "loosen the chains of injustice and untie to cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke ... Then Your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the Lord will answer; you will cry HELP, and he will say: HERE I AM" Isaiah 58 - This is what I choose to see this experience as. I hope and pray that Ashley, Lisa and John see His Glory and promises revealed.
6 comments:
Praise God. Healing...
What a great story to start my morning!
I love you so much Abby. You are so good at what you do.
i loe how strong you are... it is pretty incredible and pretty incredible how the Lord uses you. What a freaking incredible story!
abby,
i love this story and am thankful that the Lord was so kind to give you a glimpse of how he is using you! I am even more thankful that Jesus has such healing power.
We'll have to chat more at the wedding...i now work for a CPA, doing foster care and adoption :)
i am so thankful for you and even more thankful that God placed you in that job and on that case to save two lives and help one from hurting others and, in the end, himself.
beautiful story, thanks for sharing!
Go Abby! I am amazed that God gave you the personal strength to be in that job everyday.
abby...love hearing encouraging CPS stories. didn't many of those, so keep it up! its worth it!
Post a Comment