Monday, February 01, 2010

I'd hope to never complain again about working "late" on a work day. Doubling up with an internship of 20 hours a week and my regular 40+ is making me realize how delightful a "normal" day would be.

I'm at the Metro Dallas Homeless Alliance - The Bridge Shelter at nights. It houses over 200 men and women adults for the night. They can bathe, wash their clothes, get medical assistance for medication and injuries through Parkland clinic located on site. They receive assistance through case managment, VA, and the Job Corp.

The Metro Dallas Homeless Alliance has an initiative to end homeless in Dallas within 10 years. This new building/shelter is almost 2 years in and receiving remarkable results. The crime rate in downtown Dallas has reduced. The homeless population of Dallas, although too large to fill in The Bridge, is receiving a wide range of services, all at one location.

There's a program for women and men who want to end homelessness for themselves also. A program is provided through Transitional Housing that allows them to seek full guidance, assistance, and learn how to get back to a real home.

I've managed to make it through two classes on Thursdays, where I've faciliated a discussion and support group. These women are of all races - ages - vices - and are trying to communicate? Wow. My initial thought upon assignment was "FANTASTIC! I get to engage a population in topics I love - self discovery and self determination!"

Well, sure Abby. Hopeful, logical and excited. Upon my first class, I felt confident. I'd actually say that I've always felt confident since I started here, due to my experience with CPS, but if I was a ship, setting sail - and the women were the waves, they came strong, hard and fierce. Well, a few of them.

I don't stray from a truth ... and no it's not Biblical, but it's experiential true: "People migrate and associate with those just like them." We like people just like ourselves. It's in our nature. We don't want to believe it but it's true, and I am not scared to say it.

I spoke on self-awareness, engaging them to discuss their strengths and weaknesses. From awareness, individuals are able to address needs, support strengths, and seek guidance in areas to improve. Who wants to not continue to move forward? I hope I never stop.

Well one sista wasn't happy. Which evoked all the other sisters. Her argument "Why can YOU come in here and ask us to be vulnerable? You know we are in a shelter. You know we are fuck ups!" Taken aback, (thinking - do they know I am totally in this? that I want to love them and be here if the want it? surely that wasn't anger) I responded ... appropriately (I believe). But wow. Opposition. No one likes change and whomever brings that change will be brought down ... is what I've experienced.

I'm 26. I'm white. I'm female. I'm not married & I have no children.
But nobody has to know it.
And no one knowing, is where I get all my power.
besides being white and younger looking.

No comments: