Wednesday, December 23, 2009

I recently posted about my teen removal at work. What a whirlwind it has been suffering with her. I don't think I'll ever know the depths of her pain or understand how stressful removing her from her current lifestyle was. I get at least one call a day from her, if I can't go see her, and it's normally through her tears. She's strong and a fighter, willing to persevere through her hardships.

She spent the day with me last Saturday. My dear roommates of the Anita house took her in with loving arms. She sat on the couch and watched some teenie bopper show while I packed up the house with Woods. Woods, she and I went to lunch, and then came home to Woods' mom, Peggy and Natalie. We walked over to Mockingbird Station to gift shop and got Starbucks. My teen friend immediately clung to Peggy. You could see her eyes light up when she spoke with Peggy. I'd casually watch her lips to see what words were coming out of her mouth. . . She was talking about her current situation. Peggy thankfully shared good hard wisdom and encouraged her to press on. She bought her a charm bracelet that she wanted so badly and treated her like her own. We ate a late dinner at Whole Foods ... and Woods bought her pizza and cake. [so healthy] Woods fell in love with her, through her brokenness and offered to pick her up the next day for breakfast. Breadwinners it was and Breadwinners she loved. Oh their cinnamon roles.

I was humbled by Melanie's willingness and conviction to buy many Christmas gifts for my friend. She loved everything she received and I would consider her now ... spoiled after all the gifts she received. The best part of last weekend was praying over her. I want to believe that she believes that Jesus is near enough to comfort her, and the Spirit powerful enough to save her.
I very much do.

She and I don't end here. Although we had court, and essentially my role is over... we are not over. I feel like her walls won't ever be down. She will never talk of her inappropriate sexual relationship with a 30+ year old man, unless maybe she's 25 and doesn't want to prosecute. To be honest, I felt like evil came in and stole the thunder. She never budged on that topic. Her story is her story .. is her story. More details came about that solidified the supporting evidence I filed to court, but dang ... she won't talk. I break to know that she won't know all she is worth. I don't want to believe that Good won't prevail, but that Evil is just so persistent. The courts are broken. The social system is broken. Families are broken. People ... us... we are broken. But she and I ... must go on.

Peggy just stopped by and asked for an update. I told her we were doing a home study on the lesser of the two evils. It's hard to hear it, to understand it. . . or to believe that all the work I just completed could in the end, send her right back where she wasn't protected.

I might be calloused. I might be numb. I don't really know what it is.
I want to believe I'm beautifully immersed in my calling, so I'm fully equipped.
... but I could be defeated. I could give up. But I can't.
From one broken story to the next, I commit my ways to Good & Restoration.
I hope we can all commit our ways to His Desires. Just and Holy Desires.

I rest this week ... to a beautiful, holy and unblemished baby born.
He showed us how to live, to love deeply, and commit our ways in obedience.
I'm thankful for Christmas and the freedom I have.
I hope you each live in gratitude for family, comfort, and shelter.
Oh, how I look past it.

1 comment:

Beth Ann said...

you write these thoughts so well. sometimes i feel like you write what i want to say :)

i like your blog. and like you both!