Anyways, I told the ten year old he could eat anywhere he wanted, order whatever he wanted, and do whatever he wanted while we drove to the foster home. He's adorable. I asked him to bring his most favorite things [assuming it would be a blankie like his adult caseworker would choose] and he grabbed his violin. What a sweet boy. He had his uniform on from school, and wears glasses. He's Hispanic, so we listened to some radio station that was in complete Spanish. I tried to get him to talk to me about how he felt, or get him to ask me questions.
He seemed pretty happy. No tears. I thought it would be challenging for me, as I have only remove wee ones who I can explain to them why they can't stay with their parents. I've removed two older teens, but they didn't like their mom, so that was easy. He was okay though. [I'm sure he'll feel the weight of it some day soon].
Anyways, in the car, his brother was crying, so he asked if he could sit in the back with him. But of course he could, so we pulled over. His brother immediately stopped crying. Towards the end of the drive he said to me, "Do I get a present for being such a good boy?" I looked at him in my rear view mirror, and said "Well, what present would you want? I don't know if I can get you something today, but maybe someday soon. But what is it?" He said "a laptop." I giggled, because he was so sincere, as if it was very feasible. I said "Why a laptop?" He said "I don't know I've always liked them. They are great to use. My dad laughs at me when I ask for it." My own father called right after that conversation, so I had the little boy tell him what he asked me. My dad encouraged him to continue to ask for it, as he knows the good stuff to ask for! I hung up, and realized I would like to take him home with me. So we proceeded to talk about everything we passed by, because he was soooooo curious.
[wish I could buy him a laptop]
1 comment:
touching, thanks for sharing that.
Post a Comment